Hi and welcome to the forums. These forums service C117 Games, Another Dungeon and the A&B Review websites.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.

Registration is free with no stupid credit card authentication or complex obscure character recognition requirements :).

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Quote Post
Add Reply
Roll Call 2016...I mean 17
Topic Started: Jan 9 2017, 09:27 PM (26,693 Views)
Derpstrom
Member Avatar
Level 8
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Welcome to January 2017 - the month where you spend the first few weeks crossing out 2016 and writing 2017 in it's place!

Some things to look forward to this month:

GAMES

"January Game Releases"

FILMS

"January Film Releases"

I was going to do tabletop games and books but... well, I got distracted ... someone else can do 'em if they like.

Anyone have any new year resolutions they'd like to share? They're thoughts on why NY resolutions are stupid perhaps?
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Derpstrom
Member Avatar
Level 8
2017 is off to a scary-ish start for me. I've quit my job and decided to try and make my hobby business sustainable. For those keeping count those would be:

C117 Games - Game Design
Another Dungeon - Review Website, podcast, YouTube channel and community events
Here Be Games - Tabletop games & accessories sales - online store, popup store, and "other"

I have a few ideas on how to achieve this but have never had the time to put this into play properly. Now I've forced my own hand - although it scares the crap out of me because I still have a wife and four kids dependant on my salary.

On the plus side I gained a little bit of a confidence boost as, when documenting the work I do and interviewing my potential replacements, I figured out that I do actually ahve some skills that might get me another job. Might seem stupid but I've never been overly confident in what I do and figured that luck and diligence has played a large part in my success so far.

Anyway... fingers crossed things go well. I can always go back to working in IT if it proves unsuccessful however I've contemplated doing an "Office Space" style life change and just working in something totally unrelated like construction or retail - something with clear cut hours and working as part of a team.
Posted Image

Doomguy
Member Avatar
Level 7
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hope it works out for you man, finding work that you enjoy more and/or that fits your desired lifestyle more is what we all want (at least as a backup plan to free money).
Fuck_Giver.exe has stopped working!
Does it matter how I write the truth?

Deleted User
Deleted User

Good luck, Dave. I tried something similar (graphic and web design) when I was younger, but it didn't work out for me. I probably wasn't mature enough at the time, but I still know how tough it can be!

Quote Post Goto Top

Red Panda
No Avatar
Minimalistic Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Sounds cool. Least you have something to fall back on.

I wouldnt even humor the idea of working in the games industry. I dont really like the general gamer community and gamer culture very much lol. And I'd probably be forced to move to the US or Quebec/Montreal in Canada and eww to that.

Sir Goodfellow
No Avatar
Level 7
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm starting to realise that the reason Wollongong's property prices are so abnormally high isn't because it's close to Sydney (although I'm sure that helps), but because it's genuinely one of the best places to live in Australia. Its become a beautiful city. Yesterday, I was chilling at Port Kembla beach and it struck me just how idyllic the place was and that there was nowhere on earth I'd rather be. It wasn't always like this. When we first moved here, it was an ugly, downtrodden working class town in a lovely geographical setting (escarpment on one side, unbroken chain of beaches on the other). It's only in the last 10-15 years that they've been making a concerted effort to beautify the area and it's really paid off. I honestly wouldn't want to live anywhere else in Australia. Sydney's just 75 minutes north for when I need a huge city fix. The only reason I'd move right now is for employment. The gong is still kind of thin in that regard, at least compared to Sydney. But yeah, Wollongong rulz!

Sir Goodfellow
No Avatar
Level 7
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I've been playing online chess like crazy since I downloaded the chess.com app. My form has been hugely disappointing. I've been playing one rapid game after another (you get half an hour each to make all your moves and if there's no checkmate, the person who runs out of time first loses). I like it since you dont have to wait for hours or days for the other person to make a move like on chess with friends. Some games get incredibly intense. Unfortunately, after dominating the casuals on chess with friends, I'm now finding out that I'm thoroughly average at the game. I'm currently at the 58th percentile, which would barely be a pass at uni :( and now have more loses than wins. My elo rating has fallen below 1200. I'm shit. But wow. It's so addictive.
Edited by Sir Goodfellow, Jan 13 2017, 03:40 PM.

jamesh
Member Avatar
Level 42
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So Nintendo's new console will sell for AU$470, and be on sale from 3rd March:

https://twitter.com/NintendoAUNZ/status/819817045776855040

NMANOZ
No Avatar
Level 6
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The Switch is going to fail evern more than the Wii U. $470 locally is horrendous when you can get a PS4 for less and a Xbox One Slim + a game for $400.

Battery will last 3 hours while playing Zelda at 720p off dock and only 900p on dock.
Just 80 something games in development, the worst launch line-up I have ever seen:

Zelda: BotW (+Special/Master editions)
1, 2, Switch
I Am Setsuna
Has Been Heroes
Just Dance 2017
Snipperclips - Cut it out, together!
Super Bomberman R

Online will be paid, you will get a free NES/SNES game each month (which you can only play free on that month and not keep it).

Joy-Con Controllers (set of two, L and R) - $80US, Pro Controller is $100 locally.

-----------------------------------

RIP Nintendo hardware.

jamesh
Member Avatar
Level 42
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
That didn't take long.

Sir Goodfellow
No Avatar
Level 7
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I know I sound like a noob (and goddamn proud of it), but is ps4 online free like ps3 was? Hooking up the 360 again reminded me of the bad old days of needing an ethernet cable just to connect to the Internet. Microsoft built up a bit of credit with the original xbox, but this turned me right off even at the time.
Edited by Sir Goodfellow, Jan 13 2017, 08:44 PM.

Moo
Member Avatar
Level 8
You have to subscribe to play online. One bonus to subscribing is that you receive 2-4 free games a month and they're generally pretty decent ones too.

It has built-in wireless so if you've got wi-fi you don't have to worry about any cables.
Edited by Moo, Jan 13 2017, 08:48 PM.

Doomguy
Member Avatar
Level 7
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Free online now only survives with the PC master race. All current gen options from Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo will be paid.
Fuck_Giver.exe has stopped working!
Does it matter how I write the truth?

Biceps Ben Six Pack Smooth
Member Avatar
Avoid Hot Dogs
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
What up bitches

Sir Goodfellow
No Avatar
Level 7
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Smooth! I've missed you, motherfucker! How have you been homes?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Off Topic · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Theme released at ZNR