Hi and welcome to the forums. These forums service C117 Games, Another Dungeon and the A&B Review websites.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.

Registration is free with no stupid credit card authentication or complex obscure character recognition requirements :).

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Quote Post
Add Reply
HIVE: Not By Design - Demo Feedback
Topic Started: Oct 21 2015, 11:25 PM (495 Views)
Derpstrom
Member Avatar
Level 8
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Feedback thread for HIVE: Not By Design
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Derpstrom
Member Avatar
Level 8
Holy crap... how did I miss all of those?! I actually want to lose that whole line about two languages anyway. That's really desighned to see whether you defer to Miho or not but I think I could structure it all better.

mjcowley
Oct 21 2015, 11:22 PM
These are the few I managed to screenshot so far, but I know I missed a few others sorry. I'm sure you'll give the text a proofing before final release anyway.

Correction: I guess this *is* one RPG...
Correction: it's -> its

Posted Image

Suggest re-wording: Your Dad has obviously travelled. How else do you know two languages?

Posted Image

Correction: allspeak -> all speak

Posted Image

Suggest re-wording: I could offer to play with them, but it would take up a big chunk of my day.

Posted Image

Correction: pack's -> packs
Suggest re-wording: delete *they can't*

Posted Image

My suggestions are just that, but I still think those particular lines need some attention.
Posted Image

Derpstrom
Member Avatar
Level 8
Moo
Oct 21 2015, 06:55 PM
Played your game for about 90 minutes. Thoughts:

1. The exterior looks very nice, with good use of shadow. Interiors are well furnished. There's clearly a lot of care put into appearances.

2. The music has a very old school RPG feel. I like the exterior version of the town theme.

3. The character designs aren't personally my style, but they're fine if you're into that sort of thing.

4. The most glaring issue is spelling and punctuation, especially the lack of full stops at the end of most sentences.

5. The fourth wall jokes aren't great. Worse is Shae's snarky awareness that she's in a videogame. If you want an example of a game that mocks the RPG genre without breaking the fourth wall, play Barkley SUAJ:G. Is this a Stanley Parable-like game? It's hard to gauge where you're going with it. The Taxi Driver and Spongebob references also confuse things.

6. I like how the birds fly away when you move near them.

7. I didn't encounter any glitches or design issues.

8. The big problem, the one that made me stop playing (for a while), is that the tutorial quests are long, involved and boring. I learn to farm and cook, then I must learn farming and cooking level 2, requiring a bunch of back-and-forth between the farm and kitchens, then I must learn cooking level 3, which requires me to literally farm to level up, and this also unlocks smithing lessons, but when I visit the blacksmith he tells me I can't possibly smith without first learning how to mine...and at that point I saved and quit the game. It's way too much tutorial, involving all the stuff I avoid in the Elder Scrolls games. I just want to meet the guy with the tail already. I also think you should ditch the minute's wait for crops to grow, because if I have pull out my phone to pass time while your game grows my crops, that's not good.
4. I never even thought about full stops at the end of sentences when they're in a speech bubble. Good point. I'll have to go back and check the spelling. Goes to show how much I rely on programs with built in spell checkers these days

5. Yeah I'm definitely going to ditch the Taxi Driver reference. I actually thought I had already but I must've left it in. There are a tonne of other references in there which, I suppose, are mainly in there fore me. Angry Birds, Bee Gees, etc. I've always tried to keep them somewhat subtle so they don't feel jarring if you don't recognise the reference.

8. Yeah I agree for the afternoon bit. The morning bit is a fair representation of how I wanted quests to work though. The farming is meant to be more like berries in Pokemon games. Something to kick off and visit every now and again but not actually hang around and have to wait for completion. I probably should have integrated that more in the morning part (which is meant to be the full day).

Out of interest did you get up to the mining part? That's where (unless you did Gull's Quest during the morning) you get your first two dungeon puzzles. Pretty simplistic as it's an intro to the mechanics but still a bit different from just walking artound town talking to people.
Posted Image

Derpstrom
Member Avatar
Level 8
Chickan
Oct 21 2015, 11:28 PM
Moo
Oct 21 2015, 06:55 PM

8. The big problem, the one that made me stop playing (for a while), is that the tutorial quests are long, involved and boring. I learn to farm and cook, then I must learn farming and cooking level 2, requiring a bunch of back-and-forth between the farm and kitchens, then I must learn cooking level 3, which requires me to literally farm to level up, and this also unlocks smithing lessons, but when I visit the blacksmith he tells me I can't possibly smith without first learning how to mine...and at that point I saved and quit the game. It's way too much tutorial, involving all the stuff I avoid in the Elder Scrolls games. I just want to meet the guy with the tail already. I also think you should ditch the minute's wait for crops to grow, because if I have pull out my phone to pass time while your game grows my crops, that's not good.
4. I never even thought about full stops at the end of sentences when they're in a speech bubble. Good point. I'll have to go back and check the spelling. Goes to show how much I rely on programs with built in spell checkers these days
Just realised that I stuffed up some of the requirements for the primary quest for the afternoon. You're not supposed to be forced to finihs those side quests in order to finish the afternoon section. Continuing to grow, level up is meant to be optional.

I've also changed it so you can get the mining quest earlier. This means you can get all three at once and do them side by side if ytou want. Should eliminate having to wait around for stuff to grow in any case as you can just nigck off and do stuff while it does.

One quick query - was it obvious that you didn't need to wait around on screen while stuff grew?
Posted Image

Moo
Member Avatar
Level 8
Yes that was obvious. I did do a couple of things in the meantime.

Moo
Member Avatar
Level 8
Are you still working on this?

Derpstrom
Member Avatar
Level 8
I ended up putting it on ice after PAX last year. The effort it took to create coupled with the cost of creating art just wasn't feasible in the long run - especially not for such a restrictive game (platform wise) that would have a somewhat niche audience.

I strated recreating it from scratch (engine and all) using Unity but then got distracted making a platformer... then moved onto tabletop games. My current project is a 2-4 player card game called Monsters Die
Edited by Derpstrom, May 21 2016, 10:45 PM.
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · HIVE: Not By Design · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Theme released at ZNR